Saturday, October 4, 2014

Oil Pulling for Beautiful Teeth

My friend, Tiffany, who introduced me to essential oils, is a huge fan of oil pulling and loves to get other people to try it. You might have heard about oil pulling before. It seems to be popping up everywhere, like here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNnOqbUSViA
WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/features/oil-pulling
PubMed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18408265


There are plenty of more places like blogs, fashion magazines, and holistic websites, but I thought I'd link some of the more mainstream websites. I have read quite a few articles about it. The most positive sites claim that oil pulling can rebuild cavities or completely improve your overall health.  The PubMed site refers to a study saying that oil pulling reduces Streptococcus mutans, which causes cavities and is linked to heart disease.  

I am pretty sure Tiffany does it almost every day and she feels it is worth it. My mom has a friend who lives near us that swears by it too. Over a year ago, she was visiting her daughter overseas when she suddenly experienced a horrible toothache. Not wanting to find a dentist there, her daughter googled holistic remedies. Oil pulling came up and she gave it a try.  Her toothache stopped being painful and she has been hooked ever since. She told us that it has helped her in many ways including giving her amazing relief of her horrible dry mouth. Her problem sounded quite severe.

When I've done it on a regular basis I had random people compliment me on my white teeth.  How often does that happen? Apparently more when you are oil pulling.

Trying oil pulling is rather simple, you don't need anything special just one of these oils:

sunfloweroil
sesame oil
coconut oil

I happen to prefer coconut oil even though in the cooler months it has to melt in your mouth before you can swish. I also like to add a drop of essential oils mostly for taste enhancement, but they have therapeutic benefits as well.  I like peppermint and Protective Blend. After swishing for 10 to 20 minutes, I spit it into a paper cup and throw it away. Next, I brush my teeth and that's it.  My friend often does her oil pulling in the shower to knock it out while she is busy doing something else.  20 minutes of oil pulling does seem long if you aren't distracted.

1 comment:

  1. This information is quite impressive. I am really impressed to see this blog. Keep sharing the blog like this. epson printer not printing black

    ReplyDelete