Friday, May 22, 2015

4 Tips for Essential Oils Safety

When reading about essential oils, we come across a lot of varying opinions about the safety of them. Through my research, I have decided that it really comes down to following the tips listed in the getting started with essential oils. Because that is a great basis for safety, I haven’t taken the time to write a post specifically on safety.

However, I realized that maybe it is time to explain my personal safety viewpoints. My kids and I have been using essential oils on a regular basis for almost two years. I kicked it up a notch about a year ago and from that point on we use them enough for other people to notice. I can’t tell you how many times random people have told me that one of us smells great or ask us what it is that they smell. I’m pretty sure that not all of them LOVED the scent, but we are definitely noticeable. People that are aware of the oils, even some that don’t use them regularly, have told me that they can always tell when I show up to a place with my kids because they smell us first. This always makes me laugh.  Yes, we are walking diffusers. I definitely put my money where my mouth is. Oils aren’t something that I use every once in a while.

To understand safety, learning about the grades of essential oils is key.  The grades truly determine what the oils should be used for. I made this chart to help clarify this topic.  



Essential oils can be categorized into four different grades. The first two categories are the ones everyone has used probably unknowingly. The lowest grade is for oils that are mostly synthetic. Like the chart indicates, these are used in cleaning products, shampoos, lotions, perfumes, candles, air fresheners and other similar items. Synthetic lavender, lemon and orange are a common scents that come to mind in these products although many others are too. The food grade is next.  It is the only one regulated by the FDA. Examples of these include peppermint candy, vanilla extract, wintergreen gum, spices, drink flavoring, etc.    

The last 2 categories are the ones that people who are interested in essential oils need a basic understanding of.  Like the chart indicates, these are what we think of when we talk about essential oils.  They come in a bottle labeled essential oil. Almost all of them claim to be 100% pure, but Dr. Pappas (a well-recognized chemist specializing in essential oils) has stated that 75% of essential oils on the market are adulterated (impure). The oils that are categorized as therapeutic usually have a label that indicates that they are for aromatherapy use and definitely “not for internal use.” On the other hand, the medicinal grade oils are for aromatic, topical or dietary use.  Here is the FDA’s list of essential oils on their approved list for internal use: FDA List.  

To make safety the least confusing as possible, I recommend mainly focusing on the label. According to Poison Control, their guide to essential oils includes: 
  • Use products containing essential oils ONLY for their intended purpose (all about what the label says)
  • For medicinal products, use ONLY the amount stated on the label
  • For household products, store where children (and pets) cannot see or reach them
Safety with essential oils, for me, comes down to:
1. Read the label 
2. Less more often
3. Use carrier oils
4. Avoid plastics

You can read about the last 3 here: 5 Tips to Getting Started With Essential Oils

For more information on the topic, check out:

No comments:

Post a Comment